Summer in Alpe d’Huez is all about the 'Mega' which, in 2019, runs between July 8th and 14th. Thousands of intrepid, downhill mountain biking, adrenaline junkies will make their annual pilgrimage to resort.
Having started back in 1995, the Megavalanche is now one of the real highlights on the downhill mountain biking calendar. For the uninitiated, it’s a no-holds-barred, mass-start, downhill race from the snow-capped peaks up at 3300 metres all the way to the pastures of Allemont, some 2600 metres lower down, making it the longest and wildest downhill marathon in the world.
The Mega forms part of the European Mass Start Series which involves other events at Vallnord, Cervinia, Meribel and Ax-3-Domaines, running from June 16th until September 15th. Last year's winner Damien Oton (France) will no doubt be looking for another success after his impressive victory in a time of 38m55s last July.
Registration for the Mega opened back on December 10th but it’s not too late to enter this year's event. Here’s our guide to all you need to know.
More Alpe d'Huez Insights...
- Tour de France 2020 coming to Alpe d'Huez?
- Tomorrowland Winter 2020 announces lineup
- Latest gear - Mountain running equipment 2019
- Watch Perseids Meteors 2019 in Alpe d'Huez
- 7 reasons to book your 2019/20 Alpe d'Huez ski break early
- Latest gear - Camping equipment summer 2019