Snow initially started falling mid-afternoon on Friday and around 15 to 20cm fell at resort level (1850m) into Saturday. Further snow fell overnight on Saturday and through until mid-afternoon on Sunday with a further 25cm. The snow was mixed with a little bit of rain at the very lowest of elevations and was accompanied by some very strong winds that led to lots of lift closures over the weekend.
A further 15cm fell overnight Sunday and more snow is forecast throughout Monday, albeit easing as the day goes on. Hopefully, the gusty winds will drop off over the next 24/48 hours in time for Christmas. Avalanche risk has risen to 4/5 and the winds will no doubt have formed some slabs up on the hill that will soon be dealt with by the local pisteurs.
The recent snowfall has certainly kept the local snowplough drivers busy!
More Alpe d'Huez Insights...
- Alpe d'Huez Dump Alert - 18th January 2020
- Alpe d'Huez enjoys lovely sunny days
- Happy New Year from Alpe d'Huez!
- Alpe d'Huez in January 2020 - What weather to expect & what to do
- Merry Christmas from the team at Alpedhueznet.com
- Alpe d'Huez Dump Alert - 23rd December 2019